Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Terribly Sad Puppies


So, we went back to the shelter to try to adopt the puppy (no, that's not her picture). There was only one other couple there to try to win the raffle for her as well. The other couple won. We went back into the rest of the shelter to see the adult dogs (yes, there is a darling in there I would like to save, but we'll see, I'm hesitant about an adult dog I have no knowledge about). When we were on our way back we passed the puppy room while a staff member was posting a sign on the door. "Quarantined"! Very startled I asked the woman what the illness was, "parvo virus". I was shocked, none of these puppies will have been vaccinated because this shelter is still in the contract process with a local vet for the shots. Meaning that the little darling we'd been trying to adopt was very likely infected. So sad. Puppies can survive and often do when treated correctly, but in a shelter with low funding there is no gurentee of treatment being given. I'm pretty sure the couple who had won the one puppy were keeping her, I hope they did. So, we were protected in the end from huge vet bills or even a tragic loss. But now we must keep our distance from all dogs who are 6 months and youger unless they have been vaccinated because we are likely carriers for 9 months! Well, guess we won't be getting a puppy any time soon.

1 comment:

Sue said...

That IS sad. I hope the little one who was raffled off makes it. I know God has the right puppy at the right time for you, and right now is using you to cheer up the dogs that are there by spending time with them. It takes a special kind of person to rescue an adult dog...maybe you are that person! Love you, Mom